The third stairway also follows a zigzag pattern and is dedicated to the Three Theological Virtues: Faith, Hope and Charity, each with its fountain.The old church was demolished and a new one was built following a Neoclassic design by architect Carlos Amarante.
Bom Jesus do Monte is a Portuguese sanctuary in Tenões, outside the city of Braga, in northern Portugal. The Sanctuary is a notable example of pilgrimage site with a monumental, Baroque stairway that climbs 116 meters (381 feet). Many hilltops in Portugal and other parts of Europe have been sites of religious devotion since antiquity, and it is possible that the Bom Jesus hill was one of these.
However, the first indication of a chapel over the hill dates from 1373.
This chapel - dedicated to the Holy Cross - was rebuilt in the 15th and 16th centuries.
In 1629 a pilgrimage church was built dedicated to the Bom Jesus (Good Jesus), with six chapels dedicated to the Passion of Christ.
The present Sanctuary started being built in 1722, under the patronage of the Archbishop of Braga, Rodrigo de Moura Telles.
His coat of arms is seen over the gateway, in the beginning of the stairway.
Under his direction the first stairway row, with chapels dedicated to the Via Crucis, were completed.
Each chapel is decorated with terra cotta sculptures depicting the Passion of Christ.
He also sponsored the next segment of stairways, which has a zigzag shape and is dedicated to the Five Senses.
Each sense (Sight, Smell, Hearing, Touch, Taste) is represented by a different fountain.
At the end of this stairway, a Baroque church was built around 1725 by architect Manuel Pinto Vilalobos.